发布日期：2021-04-12 15:29:49 来源：桂林理工大学
Part I Choose the word or phrase that can replace the underlined part in each sentence without changing its original meaning.(每小题0.5分，共10分)
1. I’m awfully sorry to have delayed answering your letter because of pressure of work.
A. extended B. stopped C. postponed D. changed
2. The theatre has been forced to beg for donation in order to keep it running.
A.settle B. apply C. look D. ask
3. The fire in the office block was eventually brought under control.
A. expectedly B. finally C. successfully D. completely
4. Sea snakes inject a poison so strong that it kills a fish instantly.
A. effortlessly B. easily C. immediately D. finally
5. When everyone was busy talking I slipped away.
A. ran hurriedly B. fell down on the ground C. left quietly D. tiptoed
6. Marx offered a profound analysis of the economic crisis.
A. successful B. correct C. deep D. final
7. He gazed with longing and expectation into the future.
A. wonder B. indifference C. desire D. curiosity
8. The horse relaxed, and the rider slackened the rein.
A. tightened B. untied C. fastened D. loosened
9. Don’t drag that table across the room, you’ll scratch the floor!
A. tear B. pull C. draw D. push
10. Mr. Brown is someone all the students look up to.
A. miss B. respect C. fear D. treat
11. Don’t bother your boss with such unimportant matters.
A. unworthy B. stupid C. optional D. petty
12. Barack Obama’s victory in the American presidential election was overwhelming.
A. important B. great C. timely D. unexpected
13. Why are the contents of the next person’s shopping trolley always more alluring than one’s own?
A. dissuasive B. scary C. attractive D. constructive
14. There is a slight difference in meaning between the two books.
A. huge B. subtle C. moderate D. gigantic
15. She gradually perceived that her parents had been right.
A. noticed B. knew C. accepted D. realized
16. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army for good.
A. permanently B. for himself C. for a short while D. temporarily
17. The answer had come to him in a flash.
A. afterward B. very quickly C. in a glance D. in a hurry
18. The word “Hack” is a term of the technology culture which has come into existence over the past few decades.
A. come into being B. widely used C. become rare D. come forward
19. The director has confessed himself puzzled by the company’s losses.
A. told B. acknowledged C. comforted D. reminded
20. It’s downright impossible to finish the task in two days.
A. downward B. possibly C. completely D. perfectly
Part II Fill in the blank in each sentence with an appropriate form of the given word in the parenthesis. (每小题1分，共20分)
1. This is Jim, my personal _________. (assist)
2. Although I was quite sure that she has stolen my wallet, I could not find any__________. (prove)
3. Completely exhausted, the soldiers could hardly walk any______. (far)
4. Without your _________ he would never have been able to do it. (encourage)
5. I haven’t received any pay rise for 3 years; I think all the other ______ have the same experience. (employ)
6. The _______ of the money from the cash-box show that somebody in this office is a thief. ( appear)
7. When I asked her about where she wanted to hold the meeting, she didn’t express any particular ________(prefer)
8. Who can ______me that I’m wrong? (assurance)
9. We should work out a global________ to develop our markets. ( strategically)
10. After long________, she decided to turn down the job offer. (deliberate)
11. She couldn’t stand the _________ and unfriendliness in the office so she decided to resign. ( compete)
12. As a typical ______, he never took any noon nap. ( workaholism)
13. Everyone among his friends and colleagues knew it _________.(instant)
14. He worked himself to death, finally and ________, at 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning. (precise)
15. They would depart ________as if leaving the crime scene without calling the police. (reluctance)
16. Every house in this area is ________ against fire and theft.(insurance)
17. It is _________ that none of them got invitation to the party. ( regret)
18. It never _______ to me that he was a two-faced snobbish person. (occurrence)
19. The of human species has been a long process. (evolve)
20. How often do we__________people on how well they look, or express our appreciation for their’ kindness? (complimentary)
Part III Explain the underlined part in each sentence in your own words (每小题1分，共10分)
1. It’s no wonder that, despite their carefree facade, they are often confused, uncertain and
2. If our parents didn’t get them for us, we felt our world fall apart. _________
3. We slipped away to L.A. to tie the knot. _______
4. Given that I’m color-blinded, it’s nearly impossible for me to become a driver. ________
5. Conferences and business meetings around the world are held in English, regardless of whether
anyone present is a native English speaker. __________
6. The door opened and a little girl stood there, peering at me. _________
7. In spite of my disease I still drove to and from work each day, with the aid of special equipment
installed in my car. _________
8. Unfortunately, integrity is in short supply today. _________
9. Phil was a Type A, a heart-attack natural. ___________
10. It is, in short, an agreeable, easy place to go about one’s business on foot. _______
Part IV Fill in each blank with a word or phrase taken from the box. (每小题1分，共10分)
1. The lake was very popular for holidays once. But______ the seaside is more fashionable.
2. A: Have you heard form Joan?
B: No, I got a letter from her - when was it?- Oh, it must have been _____.
3. A: Have you read any good books_______?
B: Well, I’ve_____ finished the novel borrowed from library.
4. Michael left for America in the 1980s. He_____ found a job and got married. It was only ______
that he managed to come back to Europe.
5. When my father retires, he will______ move to his country cottage. _______ he will sell his
town flat and settle in the country.
6. I’ve only seen the mayor________, when he visited the local hospital.
7. He’s _______ been working at night.
Part V Explain in your own words the following sentences(每小题3分，共30分)
1. In the United States we have become so habituated to using the car for everything that it doesn’t occur to us to unfurl our legs and see what those lower limbs can do.
2. He had no outside “extracurricular interests,” unless, of course, you think about a monthly golf game that way.
3. Popularity was not so important: running with the crowd was no longer a law of survival.
4. The god of mirth is paying us back for all those years of thinking fun was everywhere by refusing to come to our party.
5. Are all white lies to be avoided at all costs?
6. Anything less than a hug may come across as chilliness.
7. When you know you are right, you can’t back down.
8. Integrity means having a personal standard of morality and ethics that does not sell out to expediency.
9. When young, you are apt to be obsessed with your appearance.
10. I realized that I was filled to overflowing with self-pity, selfishness, indifference to the needs of others and thoughtlessness.
Part VI Writing. (每小题20分，共20分)
Directions： Write a composition in 250 words with a clear thesis statement and effective supporting arguments.
The Virtues of Growing Up
周一至周日 9:00-18:00 全年无休在线客服